Total Back Support + Adjustability
Comfort is not about your chair—it’s about you. We designed the Fern office chair to take its cues from you. Just like the human body, Fern has a strong, yet flexible internal spine at its core. This unique structure and an innovative suspension system give you total back support from your neck down. There’s no hard outer frame or edges to get in the way of your comfort as Fern responds to your every movement. An adjustable lumbar pad puts lower back support just where you need it. 4D arms move in any direction for easy positioning and integrated ergonomic controls create a premium sitting experience in a clean, elegant design.
Please note: This model does not include forward tilt.
VideosSee the Fern Wave Suspension System
Patented Wave Suspension for total back support from your neck down to the lumbar and pelvic regions
Recline in five different positions (including upright) with a back stop
Support your neck and shoulders with arms that adjust up/down, side to side, front to back, and pivot in and out
- Patented, edgeless back design wrapped in a lofted mesh
- Back stop easily limits recline in five different positions (including upright)
- Adjustable lumbar pad moves 4” up or down to support your lower back
- Tilt tension control lets you lean back in a supported recline position
- 4D arms adjust up and down, side to side, front to back, and pivot in and out to support your neck and shoulders
- Pneumatic seat height adjusts 16.5" to 21.5" (419mm to 546mm) vertically
- Upholstered foam seat with Alta stain repellent and protection for superior cleanability
- 3" (76mm) seat depth adjustment
- Hard casters for soft flooring surfaces
- 92% recyclable
- Covered by Haworth’s 12-year, 24/7 warranty
- Ready to go right out of the box
- BIFMA LEVEL 3 Certified, the highest level of industry environmental certification
- Meets rigorous BIFMA G1 industry standard for healthy sitting
- GREENGUARD Certified for indoor air environments
- Overall Height: 41.5"-47" (1054mm-1194mm)
- Overall Width: 29" (737mm)
- Overall Depth: 28.5" (724mm)
- Arm Height: 6.7"-11.5" (170mm-292mm)
- Seat Height: 16.5"-21.5" (419mm-546mm)
- Seat Width: 19.9" (505mm)
- Seat Depth: 15.5"-18.5" (394mm-470mm)
I am very happy with the comfort and quality. I am now in a permanent work from home position and I felt the most important part of that was buying a quality chair and so far, I am happy and comfortable! Thank you Haworth!
Thank you very much for your feedback and we are happy that you are enjoying your new Fern!
I’m 5’ 2” and I’m always trying to find a chair that allows me to make multiple adjustments without making me feel like a dwarf. Love the adjustable lumbar. Seat forward/back, tilt, up/down. Bonus the arm rests also go up/down, in/ out and rotate in/out as well!
Previously to buying this chair for my home office I had only experienced the Herman Miller Aeron as an ergonomic chair. While I like the Aeron, the stiff plastic surrounding the seat back and bottom became uncomfortable after a while.
Bought the Haworth Fern for my home office and I'm loving it so far--no regrets on not getting an Aeron of my own. First off, I prefer to lumar support in the Fern as it's more of a soft bladder than a hard rubber piece. Second, there's no hard plastic as the fabric wraps completely around the seat back and bottom. Doesn't get too hot either despite the seat have cushion and not just mesh. Overall would recommend this to anyone looking for an ergonomic chair around $1000!
Josh, thank you so much for taking the time to submit this review and for branching out to Haworth! We are so happy to hear you're loving your new Fern chair!
We bought the Fern chair with the adjustable lumbar support without first sitting on it. We trusted the Haworth brand because for years, we appreciated the quality and comfort of the Improv HE chair--a Haworth legacy product our office afforded a decade ago. The Fern chair is perfect for teleworking and zooming for hours from home during the pandemic. Like many others, we too needed to have a quality and comfortable task chair of our own.
I have had my Haworth chair for approximately two weeks. I've worked from my home office for over a decade. In the last two years, I've developed significant ligament issues in both elbows related to working 60 hours a week or more at a computer. I've experimented with desks of various heights, different mouse styles, various seat and lumbar cushions, and various keyboard styles. As a last resort to try to reclaim some health, I invested in a Haworth chair. It's one of only a few chairs (not drafting stools) on the market that reach a comfortable height relative to my height-adjustable desk. The multi-position armrests provide good options, and the armrest material is comfortable to the skin. The chair appears durable and the mechanisms are sound. I'd like the adjustable lumbar bar to extend another inch or so higher to account for proper placement among short (5'4") people like myself. I'd also like the seat cushion to have a bit more of a responsive feel. It's dense, which hopefully means over prolonged hours of use it won't compress prematurely. But the density can get weary and leave me longing for a more cushion-y feel to my bum. I have tried chairs from other retailers (none this expensive, though), and ultimately feel that this is a good choice for home office work.
Thank you so much for taking the time to submit this detailed review, Heather! We appreciate your feedback!